What comes to mind when you hear the word residency? Do you think of a living arrangement or training environment? When it comes to what you do allow to make its home or take root in your heart? Do you realize that it matters and making wise choices of what can stay and what needs to get out will make a difference?
What things shouldn’t have residency in our hearts:
Jealousy and love cannot coexist. If we allow jealousy to take root in our hearts, it will rot our bones.
Anger and hatred:
Allowing anger or hatred to take root in our souls can lead to sin. Instead, we should let Christ rule us and fill our hearts and minds with love.
What things we should allow residency in our hearts:
Give Love Residency:
Give Faith Residency:
Give Joy Residency:
Give Peace Residency:
We should let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts and be at peace with one another.
Give Patience Residency:
We should be patient with others and wait on the Lord.
Give Kindness Residency:
We should be kind to one another and show compassion to those in need.
Ever wondered how to uproot the items that shouldn’t have residency in your heart?
Confession and repentance:
Confessing our sins and repenting for them is the first step in removing negative things from our hearts. We must seek forgiveness from God and from those we have wronged.
We can ask God to search our hearts and reveal what is in them. Once we know what is in our hearts, we can listen to what is there and ask God to help us remove anything that is not of Him.
Filling our hearts and minds with love can help us remove anger and hatred from our souls. We should let Christ rule us and strive to be kind to others.
Therefore, let’s be the dads who allow God’s Word to not only take root and have residency in our hearts but also to grow and flourish. Additionally, let’s be the dads who go from surface level to allowing God’s Word to permeate every aspect of our being. Finally, let’s be the dads who teach spiritual things and admonish and train one another with all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
What can we do to be the dads by applying today’s verse of the day? How can we put it into action in ways that will glorify God and meet the needs of our wives and kids?
Applications of Colossians 3:16 that teach the importance of what we give residency in our hearts to so as to help us be the dads our wives, kids, and world need us to be:
- Daily Scripture Engagement:
- Take time each day to engage with the Word of God. Read, meditate, and reflect on Scripture to allow it to permeate your heart and mind.
- Teaching Spiritual Values:
- Actively incorporate spiritual teachings into your daily interactions with your family. Share biblical principles in a way that is relatable and applicable to their lives.
- Encourage Family Worship:
- Establish a routine of family worship, incorporating psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Use this time to sing together, pray, and discuss the Word of God.
- Wisdom in Disciplining:
- Apply wisdom and discernment in disciplining your children. Let the teachings of Christ guide your approach to correction and instruction.
- Express Thankfulness:
- Cultivate a spirit of gratitude within your family. Encourage thankfulness for God’s blessings and create an atmosphere of appreciation for one another.
- Model Love and Forgiveness:
- Demonstrate love and forgiveness in your relationships. Be quick to forgive, just as Christ forgave you, and let love be the guiding force in your interactions.
- Patience in Parenting:
- Practice patience in your role as a father. Recognize that growth, both spiritual and personal, takes time. Be patient with your children as they learn and develop.
- Kindness in Words and Actions:
- Be intentional about speaking and acting with kindness. Model compassion and empathy, treating each family member with gentleness and respect.
- Seeking God’s Guidance:
- Regularly seek God’s guidance through prayer. Ask for wisdom in your parenting journey, acknowledging your dependence on Him for strength and direction.
- Confession and Repentance:
- Foster a culture of humility within your family. Admit your mistakes, confess your sins, and demonstrate the importance of seeking forgiveness and reconciliation.
Residency Principles Summary:
By applying these principles, you create an environment where the Word of God resides not only in your heart but also in the hearts of your wife and kids. Your actions will reflect the transformative power of God’s Word, contributing to the spiritual growth and well-being of your family.