You have something to say do you? Ever heard about the acronym T.H.I.N.K. when it comes to communication? Is what you have to say Truthful? How about is it Helpful? Will it be Inspiring? Is it Necessary? Is it coming from a heart of compassion and so is what you are wanting to say Kind? You’ve heard you need to think before you speak, now consider while you are thinking about what you are going to say if it is truthful, helpful, inspiring, necessary, and kind.
Ever considered what God’s Word has to say about how we speak?
Say it in a way that is Gracious and Pleasant:
This means that we should speak with kindness, courtesy, and respect to others, without being harsh, rude, or insulting. We should also speak in a way that is pleasing and agreeable to the listener, without being boring, dull, or offensive.
Say it in a way that is Seasoned with Salt:
This means that we should speak with wisdom, insight, and flavor, adding value and interest to the conversation. We should also speak with honesty, integrity, and purity, avoiding any corruption or falsehood in our words.
Know how to answer each one who questions you:
This means that we should speak with relevance, appropriateness, and sensitivity, adapting our words to the situation and the person we are talking to. We should also speak with confidence, clarity, and conviction, being ready to give a reason for our faith and hope in Christ.
Therefore, let’s be the dads who speak with kindness, courtesy, and respect to others, without being harsh, rude, or insulting. Additionally, let’s be the dads who speak with wisdom, insight, and flavor that adds value and interest to the conversation. Moreover, let’s be the dads who speak with relevance, appropriateness, and sensitivity, choosing our words wisely based on the situation and person we are talking too through the wisdom of the Holy Spirit.
How can we apply today’s verse of the day to be the dads our wives and kids need us to be? What can we do with this wisdom when it comes to speaking to our wives, kids, and world in a way that will glorify God?
Applications of Colossians 4:6 towards making sure what we say and how we say it will bless our wives, kids, and world while glorifying God:
- Practice Kindness: Make an effort to speak with kindness and compassion to your family and others, showing respect and empathy in your words.
- Use Courtesy: Be polite and considerate in your interactions, using please and thank you, and being mindful of others’ feelings.
- Show Respect: Treat everyone with respect and dignity, regardless of their age, background, or beliefs.
- Avoid Harshness: Refrain from using harsh or critical language, and avoid speaking in a way that could hurt or offend.
- Maintain Honesty: Speak the truth in love, avoiding deceit or falsehood, and maintaining your integrity in all your conversations.
- Add Value: Ensure that your words bring value and insight to the conversation, contributing positively to the discussion.
- Be Relevant: Tailor your words to the situation and the person you are speaking to, ensuring your communication is appropriate and sensitive to their needs.
- Adapt to Your Audience: Consider the specific needs and concerns of your wife, children, and others you interact with, and adapt your communication to address those needs effectively.
- Cultivate Clarity: Communicate clearly and concisely, ensuring your message is easily understood and not open to misinterpretation.
- Share Your Faith: Be prepared to share your faith and hope in Christ when appropriate, always doing so with gentleness and respect.
These applications can help you fulfill the teachings of Colossians 4:6 by creating an atmosphere of love, respect, and grace within your family and wider community, thus glorifying God through your words and actions.