As we prepare for today let our way be one of love. Firstly, let’s be the dads who love our wives and kids. Secondly, let’s be the dads who as we go into the world love those God brings across our path. Finally, let’s do it unselfishly and unconditionally after the model God gives us as He loves us.
Let’s remember God’s definition of love rather than picking up the one of the world.
‘Love endures with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; love does not brag and is not proud or arrogant. It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured. It does not rejoice at injustice, but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail]. Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening]. Love never fails [it never fades nor ends]. But as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for the gift of special knowledge, it will pass away. ‘1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Ok everyone, let’s pay attention as God’s Word doesn’t say God has a good idea but rather a commandment for us. Let’s be the dads who love and unselfishly seek the best for our wives, kids, and the people God brings across our paths. Let’s be the dads who choose to model our love and our lives after the love He has poured out on us!
So what are some ways to apply today’s verse of the day in order to be the dads God created, purposed, and desires for us to be? How can we apply it to be the best husbands, dads, and people this world needs us to be?
Applications of John 15:12 to help us be the dads of love:
- Model Christ’s Love: Emulate the way Jesus loved others. His love was sacrificial, unconditional, and selfless. Apply this kind of love to your role as a husband, father, and member of society.
- Prioritize Relationships: Make genuine connections with your family, friends, and others. Show an active interest in their lives and well-being.
- Lead by Example: Demonstrate love through your actions. Let your children and others around you see how you treat your spouse, your family, and those in need with kindness and respect.
- Practice Forgiveness: Just as Christ forgave, be willing to forgive. Holding onto grudges can hinder relationships and create bitterness.
- Communicate Openly: Effective communication is essential in any relationship. Listen actively and speak with empathy, aiming to understand and support each other.
- Serve and Sacrifice: Christ’s love was exemplified through His service and sacrifice. Find ways to serve your family and community without expecting anything in return.
- Encourage and Empower: Lift up your spouse, children, and those around you. Support their dreams, goals, and aspirations, helping them become the best version of themselves.
- Practice Patience: Love is patient, as mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13:4. Patience allows for understanding, growth, and the building of stronger relationships.
- Show Gratitude: Express appreciation for the blessings in your life. Cultivate a spirit of gratitude that can uplift the atmosphere at home and in your interactions with others.
- Seek Wisdom: Continuously seek God’s wisdom through prayer and studying His Word. Applying biblical principles to your life will guide you in making loving and righteous decisions.
Remember that these applications are ongoing practices that require intentionality and effort. By consistently applying John 15:12 in your daily life, you can become a father, husband, and individual who embodies the love that God desires for His children.