You invest to get a return right? Consider what you desire to achieve through your investment of time. Will your investment be in things that are temporary or lasting? Determine what and who is most significant to you and prioritize your time accordingly. Contemplate how your investment of time will create a lasting impact.
With limited time, invest wisely
Time is fleeting! As I was looking to grab a link to scripture, the search results provided me with a description of what this phrase means:
Time is fleeting means that time passes by really quickly, and life is short12. It implies that the past is gone, the present is brief, and the future is uncertain3. Fleeting is a synonym of words like transient, transitory, ephemeral, momentary, fugitive, and evanescent, which all mean lasting or staying only a short time45.Side bar search results from bing.com of “Time is fleeting”
So let’s reflect upon and consider what we find in Psalms and Ecclesiastes on the reality of how short time on earth is and how fast it is going by:
‘“Lord , let me know my [life’s] end And [to appreciate] the extent of my days; Let me know how frail I am [how transient is my stay here]. Behold, You have made my days as [short as] hand widths, And my lifetime is as nothing in Your sight. Surely every man at his best is a mere breath [a wisp of smoke, a vapor that vanishes]! Selah. ‘Psalms 39:4-5
The Voice 2 Teacher: Life is fleeting, like a passing mist. It is like trying to catch hold of a breath; All vanishes like a vapor; everything is a great vanity.Ecclesiastes 1:2
So what can we do to make sure we invest properly?
Choosing wise friends is the key to becoming wise ourselves. We should steer clear of conceited, dull-witted individuals and seek out those who can help us become better husbands, fathers, and friends, just as God intends.
So how can today’s verse of the day help us invest the limited time we have left wisely and apply it in how we live our lives as husbands and dads?
Applications of Proverbs 13:20 towards how we invest our time in our wives, kids, and world in order to get the return God purposed, planned, and created for us to accomplish:
- Choose Your Companions Wisely: Surround yourself with wise and positive individuals who can positively influence your decisions and behavior. This will help you grow in wisdom and character as a husband and father.
- Prioritize Quality Relationships: Invest time in nurturing strong and healthy relationships with your wife, kids, and close friends who share your values. These bonds can provide emotional support, encouragement, and guidance.
- Role Modeling: Be a role model for your family by embodying the qualities and values you want your children to adopt. Your actions speak louder than words, and your behavior can influence their development.
- Shared Learning: Engage in activities that promote learning and growth as a family. Read books, have meaningful discussions, and explore new experiences together to foster a culture of continuous learning.
- Effective Communication: Develop open and honest communication channels with your spouse and children. Encourage them to express their thoughts and feelings, and actively listen to their concerns and ideas.
- Discernment in Media Consumption: Be discerning about the media you and your family consume. Choose content that aligns with your values and encourages positive thinking and behavior.
- Teach Discernment: Teach your children the importance of choosing friends wisely and making decisions based on sound judgment. Help them understand the potential consequences of associating with negative influences.
- Serve and Give: Teach your family the value of serving and giving to others. Engage in volunteer activities or charitable initiatives as a family to cultivate a sense of empathy and social responsibility.
- Time Management: Allocate time intentionally to your wife, children, and personal growth. Balance work, family, and self-care to ensure a well-rounded and fulfilling life.
- Continuous Reflection: Regularly reflect on your choices, relationships, and actions. Evaluate whether they align with your values and long-term goals as a husband, father, and individual.
Incorporating these applications of Proverbs 13:20 into your life can help you invest your time wisely and create a positive, meaningful impact on your family and the world around you. Remember, building strong relationships and fostering personal growth are ongoing processes that require commitment and effort.