Is your focus on the temporary or the eternal? Are you focusing on what will last – faith, hope, and love? Invest in what will last and choose to store up your treasures where they can’t be destroyed and won’t be stolen! So where will you decide to stockpile what is of most value and will last?
Focus on putting first things first!
I know in my years I have learned that my priorities impact my focus and so by having my priorities right and putting first things first, the decisions and actions I take to move forward in alignment with God and for His glory! So let’s be the dads who decide to put God first, our wives second, and our kids third. Everything else comes after these priorities and when we seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, He can take care of the rest!
Firstly, let’s be the dads who store up our treasures in heaven rather than material treasures here on earth! Secondly, let’s be the dads who put our treasures in heaven where they will last because where our treasures are there our hearts will be also! Thirdly, let’s store up our treasures in heaven where moths and rust can’t destroy them! Finally, let’s store up our treasures in heaven where thieves can’t break in and steal!
Let’s be the dads who are focusing on how we get our wives and kids to receive and accept Jesus so that we can all spend eternity together in heaven!
As we consider how to focus and apply today’s verse of the day, let’s first grab onto more context of this from the surrounding verses:
‘ “Do not store up for yourselves [material] treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in and steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart [your wishes, your desires; that on which your life centers] will be also. ‘Matthew 6:19-21
Ways to apply today’s verse of the day to help us focus on the right things and store up the right treasures in heaven where they will be safe and last forever:
- Prioritize quality time: Invest your time in building meaningful relationships with your family members. Engage in activities that strengthen your bond and create lasting memories.
- Cultivate a heart of generosity: Teach your children the importance of giving and serving others. Model a generous spirit by actively participating in charitable acts and involving your family in these endeavors.
- Emphasize character development: Shift your focus from material achievements to the growth of your children’s character. Teach them virtues such as honesty, kindness, and integrity, which will have lasting value in their lives.
- Encourage spiritual growth: Foster a deep, personal relationship with God in your own life and guide your children in their spiritual journey. Prioritize regular family worship, prayer, and reading and discussing the Bible together.
- Teach financial stewardship: Help your family understand the importance of wise financial management. Teach your children about budgeting, saving, and the principles of contentment and responsible spending.
- Invest in education and knowledge: Recognize the value of education and encourage your children to develop their talents and pursue lifelong learning. Support their educational goals and provide opportunities for growth.
- Demonstrate selflessness: Model selflessness and sacrificial love within your family. Show empathy, kindness, and a willingness to put others’ needs before your own. Teach your children the importance of serving and caring for others.
- Foster open communication: Create an atmosphere of open dialogue within your family, where everyone feels safe to express their thoughts, concerns, and emotions. Listen actively and offer guidance and support when needed.
- Be an example of faithfulness: Stay committed to your marriage vows and demonstrate faithfulness to your spouse. Show your children the importance of a loving, supportive relationship built on trust and mutual respect.
- Emphasize eternal values: Teach your family to seek spiritual growth and develop a heavenly perspective. Encourage them to focus on character, relationships, and impacting others positively, rather than solely pursuing worldly success and possessions.