You are not an accident! The truth behind life’s surprises is that God created you on purpose, with purpose, and for a purpose! So don’t carry the burden or the pain of what surprised others and pick up the mantle of purpose from God!
Did you hear or learn that you were a surprise to your parents? Have some labeled you a whoops baby? There are a few truths that come out of this, such as the reality that the only birth control that is 100% effective is not having sex and keeping it in your pants. So your parents may not have planned or been prepared but they shouldn’t have been surprised that their activities created you. When you play with fire there is a high likelihood of getting burned. From them, you may have heard or from others that you were an accident but that is a lie of the devil. God created you on purpose! God created you out of love!
That’s right God created you in your mother’s womb. He formed every innermost part of you, knitting the pieces together because He loves you and has a purpose for you.
Continuing to the next verses, we pick up this extra tidbit of information.
We are not accidents because:
‘I will give thanks and praise to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was being formed in secret, And intricately and skillfully formed [as if embroidered with many colors] in the depths of the earth. Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were appointed for me, When as yet there was not one of them [even taking shape]. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I could count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You. ‘Psalms 139:14-18
Firstly, we are fearfully and wonderfully made by God! We didn’t surprise God for our frame was not hidden from Him! Secondly, we may have been growing or being formed in secret but God was intricately and skillfully forming us as if embroidered with many colors in the depth. Finally, so no matter what’s been said or done, we are not a mistake! We are not accidents! We are creations of God!
Now let’s consider today’s verse as it relates to being a dad and how we can apply it in the lives of our kids including the words we speak and the love they need to receive from us.
Ways to apply not being an accident through Psalms 139:13:
- Recognize that God formed your child in the womb and has a purpose for their life.
- Speak positively about your child’s unique qualities and talents, affirming their value and worth.
- Pray for your child, asking God to guide and protect them throughout their life.
- Encourage your child to embrace their identity in Christ, knowing that they are fearfully and wonderfully made.
- Create a safe and nurturing environment for your child to grow and flourish.
- Lead by example, showing your child what it means to live a life that honors God.
- Be present in your child’s life, listening to them and supporting them through life’s ups and downs.
- Celebrate your child’s milestones and achievements, acknowledging their hard work and dedication.
- Help your child discover and pursue their passions, guiding them as they navigate their future.
- Remind your child that they are loved unconditionally, both by you and by their heavenly Father, and that nothing can separate them from His love.
Let’s be the dads who may have been labeled accidents but don’t pass on that curse to the next generation. We may have been the dads who behaved in a way that caused an unplanned or unprepared baby but we need to pour into our kids that God created them on purpose. Finally, by applying these principles to your role as a dad, you can help your child develop a strong sense of identity and purpose, and speak life over them even if they were a surprise to you.