Love is a verb, active and alive. Love is more than a feeling. God is love. Let’s turn to His Word and see what we can learn about love.
Definition of love
‘Love endures with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; love does not brag and is not proud or arrogant. It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured. It does not rejoice at injustice, but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail]. Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening]. Love never fails [it never fades nor ends]. But as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for the gift of special knowledge, it will pass away. ‘1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Firstly, to know what love is requires looking it up and God’s Word is the perfect source to get the perfect definition of love. Secondly, we need to apply it to our lives and so living our lives with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful. Therefore, we can choose to live without jealousy and envy, without bragging, pride, or arrogance. Model love by choosing to not be self-seeking nor allowing ourselves to be provoked through being overly sensitive leading to anger. We need to apply love so that we can forgive others rather than allow bitterness to take root and keep track of wrongs. Knowing that love never fails, let’s fight against and resist injustice and rejoice with the truth as well as when the truth prevails.
Wow, what a powerful message about what love is and does. Firstly, we see how love bears all things regardless of what comes. Secondly, we learn how love believes in all things looking for the best in each one. Thirdly, love hopes for all things and remains steadfast during difficult times. Finally, we read how love endures all things without weakening.
As dads, we need to take these lessons about what love is in today’s verse of the day and be able to put them into practice.
Ways to apply today’s verse of the day to be a dad
- Love: As a dad, strive to show love to your children in all circumstances, even when it may be difficult or challenging. Love is the foundation of all relationships, and it is the key to building a strong and healthy bond with your children.
- Patience: Children can test your patience, but it’s important to remain patient and understanding with them. Show them grace, even when they make mistakes or exhibit challenging behaviors.
- Kindness: Being a kind dad means showing compassion and empathy towards your children. Practice acts of kindness towards your children, and encourage them to do the same towards others.
- Humility: It’s important for dads to model humility, and to be willing to admit when they are wrong. By doing so, you teach your children the importance of taking responsibility for their actions.
- Selflessness: A good dad puts the needs of his children before his own. Show your children that you care about them by being selfless in your actions.
- Forgiveness: Forgiveness is an important aspect of any relationship, and it’s especially important in the parent-child relationship. Show your children that you are willing to forgive them when they make mistakes, and model the importance of forgiveness in your own life.
- Perseverance: Being a dad can be challenging at times, but it’s important to persevere through those challenges. Show your children the importance of persistence and resilience in the face of difficulties.
- Honesty: Honesty is the foundation of trust, and it’s important for dads to be honest with their children. Be truthful with your children, even when it’s difficult, and teach them the value of honesty in their own lives.
- Protectiveness: Dads have a natural instinct to protect their children, and it’s important to cultivate that instinct. Show your children that you will always be there to protect them, and teach them to protect others as well.
- Faith: Faith is an important part of many people’s lives, and it can be an important aspect of being a dad as well. Show your children the importance of faith in your life, and encourage them to develop their own faith as they grow older.