As I start this day with the send and feeling of hope that comes from God I am reminded of what God’s Word tells us about love and what will last forever!
Love will last forever
‘And now there remain: faith [abiding trust in God and His promises], hope [confident expectation of eternal salvation], love [unselfish love for others growing out of God’s love for me], these three [the choicest graces]; but the greatest of these is love.’1 Corinthians 13:13
I then consider how our purpose can be summarized as loving God and loving people as we read in God’s Word:
Loving God and loving people will last forever
‘And Jesus replied to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself [that is, unselfishly seek the best or higher good for others].’ The whole Law and the [writings of the] Prophets depend on these two commandments.” ‘Matthew 22:37-40
We came into the world with nothing and we can’t take anything with us, so the key is to invest in people because they are the one thing that will have eternal life, and the decision of accepting or rejecting Jesus as their Lord and Savior will determine where and how they will spend eternity!
So are you ready to pursue faith, hope, and love with love being the greatest? Are you ready to love God and love people so that you remain connected with God and can overflow with love and wisdom when it comes to interacting with people?
Let’s now turn to our devotional which has the description of:
“In light of the Christmas season, we are going to take a look into the gift of Wisdom. Having knowledge and having wisdom are two different things. Join us as we look at seeking wisdom and what to do with it once you have it.”UNCOMMEN: Wise Men | Devotional Reading Plan | YouVersion Bible
Scripture for Today’s Devotional:
What better way is there to turn to God than in praise and worship, in prayer and petition, and by turning to His Word as our source and foundation? Let’s be the dads who choose to please God! Let’s be the dads who grab hold of promises in God’s Word like “For to the person who pleases Him God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy”! Let’s be the dads who choose to turn from our old ways, our sinful ways, and turn to God so that we won’t have to deal with the consequences and the curses like “to the sinner He gives the work of gathering and collecting so that he may give to one who pleases God”! Let’s be the dads who choose to pursue the truth and promises of God rather than vainly trying to chase after the things of the world which is like “chasing after the wind”!
Today’s devotional has been provided to us by UNCOMMEN.
For more information, please visit https://www.uncommen.org/.
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
“Chasing the Wind“
- Today’s devotional similar to my posts put God’s Word upfront:
- Consider a joy unspeakable that won’t go away – will last forever!
- Today’s devotional first brings us to the topic of “You can’t touch my joy.“:
- Ever heard and wondered what someone meant when they said “you can’t touch my joy”?
- Let’s be the dads who realize the difference between joy and happiness and how it comes down to perspective!
- Let’s be the dads who lean on God, trust God, and grab hold of His promises and eternal perspective so that we aren’t being rocked by our feelings and finding that we “are sky high one day and rock bottom the next because we let our feelings dictate our happiness“!
- Let’s be the dads who lean on God, trust God, and grab hold of His promises and eternal perspective so that when we “are going through things that should get us down, still seem joyful“!
- Let’s be the dads who live out our lives level and on purpose because we know and “understand that the same God that is in the good days is in the bad days as well“!
- Let’s be the dads who can see things from the perspective that God will never leave us nor abandon us!
- Let’s be the dads who learn to be content no matter our situations because we put all our hope and trust in God!
- Let’s be the dads who no matter where we are or what we are going through can be like Paul and praise God and do the work He has for us to accomplish!
- Today’s devotional shares this example from Paul:
- Today’s devotional next takes us to the perspective of the one who doesn’t choose to do it God’s way and trust Him when it speaks of “Wind Chasers“:
- Let’s be the dads who realize that even in a cartoon movie we are able to hear words of wisdom!
- Today’s devotional points to just such an example from Ariel in the movie The Little Mermaid:
- “I’ve got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
- I’ve got whozits and whatzits galore
- (You want thingamabobs?I got twenty)
- But who cares?
- No big deal
- I want more”
- Today’s devotional points us back to the scripture “but to the sinner he has given the business of gathering and collecting”
- Let’s be the dads who reflect and consider what hobby we have that is causing us to “chase and collect this or that“!
- Let’s be the dads who pause to consider someone we know “who has taken the art of gathering and collecting to a new level“!
- Let’s be the dads who go back to God’s Word when we start to think about stuff and grab hold of how God tells us as expressed by today’s devotional:
- “Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.”“
- Today’s devotional provides us with some UNCOMMEN questions and a challenge:
- “Uncommen Questions:”
- “Uncommen Challenge:”