It’s the start of a new week and we finished the last day of our previous devotional yesterday. So I did another search for dads in the YouVersion Bible app to see what devotionals I could find. This one jumped out at me for a few reasons including how an encounter with Jesus, no matter how brief, can transform a situation.
Scripture from Today’s Devotional:
‘ Then one of the rulers of the synagogue came up, Jairus by name; and seeing Him, he prostrated himself at His feet And begged Him earnestly, saying, My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay Your hands on her, so that she may be healed and live. And Jesus went with him; and a great crowd kept following Him and pressed Him from all sides [so as almost to suffocate Him].’Mark 5:22-24
Are you like me and start your day with God and in God’s Word? Are you turning to God’s Word to hear what He has to say to fill you up and point you in the right direction? Are you turning to God’s Word to understand or discern what to do? Are you turning to God’s Word to learn?
Let’s be the dads who know the first place to turn no matter what comes our way is to Jesus! Let’s be the dads who when we need wisdom, discern, health, or courage turn to Jesus! Let’s be the dads who bring our marital, parental, and daily needs to God because we have a relationship with Him and we know from His Word that we can cast our cares on Him because He cares for us! Let’s be the dads who trust God more than our own understanding! Let’s be the dads who know that nothing is impossible with Jesus and for Jesus! Let’s be the dads who choose to live by faith rather than by sight!
Today’s devotional has been provided to us by Awesome Marriage!
For more information, please visit: https://awesomemarriage.com/
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
“Jairus: A Desperate Man“
- Let’s be the dads who focus on the essentials!
- Let’s be the dads who are walking out our lives with Jesus so that we know where and how to find Him!
- Let’s be the dads who turn to Jesus before we get to the end of our ropes!
- Let’s be the dads who turn to Jesus before we hit rock bottom!
- Today’s devotional speaks about Jairus with this information:
- “Jairus lived a very long time ago in the village of Capernaum. Capernaum was a fishing village located on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee. It was a fairly small village of about 1,500 to 3,000 people. At the beginning of His ministry, Jesus moved to Capernaum.“
- “Jairus was a leader in the synagogue. The Bible does not tell us his full name, what he looked like, or what he did from day to day. It just tells us the essentials of the story: Jairus was a dad and his 12 year old daughter was dying.“
- Today’s devotional opens with an interesting question for us to ponder as we get started in this devotional:
- Let’s be the dads who know we need God!
- Let’s be the dads who know we need Jesus!
- Be it for salvation where we can’t make our own way or many other challenges that come our way, let’s know where our help and hope come from, it comes from God!
- Let’s be the dads who turn to God for wisdom and discernment in how to proceed as our first resource!
- Today’s devotional speaks to the reality that “Jairus was a prominent man but his prominence could not help his daughter. We don’t know what steps Jairus had already taken for his daughter but I think this dad did everything he could to save his daughter’s life and nothing he did worked.“
- Let’s be the dads who seek Jesus with all of our hearts because we know that if we seek Him with all of our hearts we will find Him!
- Today’s devotional gives us a picture of what Jairus would have been going through as it says:
- “Now Jesus was living in his village. People were talking about Jesus. There were stories of Jesus turning water into wine at a wedding and of Him healing many people. Jairus set out to find Jesus. Amid dusty streets, camels, and donkeys, a crowd had gathered. Jairus knew that Jesus had to be at the center of the crowd. As he strained to see, there He was. Jesus was right there in front of him.“
- God’s Word speaks to the encounter this way:
- Let’s be the dads who realize that Jesus is the answer!
- We see in today’s devotional how “Jairus was desperate. He loved his daughter, she was dying, and he was helpless.“
- Let’s be the dads who know that when we are faced with desperation we aren’t alone and can turn to and call out to Jesus!
- Let’s be the dads who know that after having tried to do it in our own strength, trying everything we know to do and nothing works to turn to and call out to Jesus!
- Let’s be the dads who don’t forget that we can turn to and go to Jesus in our times of trouble and desperation!
- Today’s devotional shares a story from the author:
- “Have you ever been in a desperate situation? Have you ever tried everything you know to do and nothing worked? I have. I have tried to figure out things on my own until my brain literally hurt. Then I remember that Jesus is in town and like Jairus I can go to Him. Jairus fell in front of Jesus in the flesh. I fall on my knees in front of the one who will never leave me or forsake me.“
- Today’s devotional closes with this thought and challenge:
- “Jesus is always there for us. We can literally take everything to Him. He cares for us and loves us more than we can ever imagine. For me, Jesus needs to be my first resort and not my last. Why would I try to do things myself when I have the Creator of the universe always there for me? I need to do what Jairus did. I need to ask!“
- “Today’s Challenge: Who do you go to when you are at the end of your rope?“
- Today’s devotional offers us the opportunity to “Going Deeper:”