Ever wondered what you could do as a dad to make things better? Ever wondered what you could do as a dad to make a difference? Ever considered making time for your wife during your day? Ever considered making time for your kids during your day? Ever considered planning and purposing how you will live out your today? It matters! It makes a difference! We need to decide and make a choice! Could today be a day to choose to be generous to your wife and kids with your time or finances? Could today be a day to choose to be involved and do something with your wife and kids or for your wife and kids? Could today be a day to choose to see and love on our wife and kids rather than allowing the stress and pressure to make us quick-tempered and end up taking it out on them? Could today be a day to choose to appreciate what you have, your wife, and your kids, and choose to show appreciation and love by the way you plan and purpose today? Could today be a day to choose to humble yourself rather than be prideful and serve your wife and kids to make today a great day?
After searching for a devotional to kick off five days back, searching in the bible.com site for “dad” and scrolled through the many devotionals I have completed then this one just popped out from the scrolling, and here we go. Today’s devotional shares, “Most sin can be traced to one of these seven sins. So, know them. Fight them in your home. Fight them in your heart. Be the example that maybe you didn’t have growing up. You can learn to overcome the sin that’s holding you back.” So let’s take the next week to learn to be ready and prepared to fight them in our homes and hearts!
Scripture for today’s devotional:
‘When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. Do not crave his delicacies, for that food is deceptive.’Proverbs 23:1-3
‘Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. ‘Luke 12:22-23
‘No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. ‘1 Corinthians 10:13
God’s Word is active and alive! God created each of us on purpose, with purpose, and for a purpose and so let’s choose to live today on purpose, with purpose, and for a purpose!
Let’s be the dads who realize the temptation of food in our lives, you’ve heard the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach right? Let’s be prepared when we are going out to have self-control! Let’s be prepared to be filled with the Holy Spirit so that the overflow includes love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control! Let’s be the dads who realize that the struggle around food is real and so lean on God to help us! Let’s be the dads who grab hold of the wisdom of Jesus on what we shouldn’t worry about including your life, what you will eat; or your body, what you will wear, and instead grab hold of the reality that life is more than food, and the body more than clothes! Let’s be the dads who are aware when we are facing temptations that we aren’t alone! Let’s be the dads who lean on God and call out to Him in the moments of temptation to help us see the way out! Let’s be the dads who know that God won’t allow us to be tempted beyond what we can handle and as such resist the temptation and resist the devil knowing that he will flee! Let’s be the dads who are on the lookout when we are being tempted for that opening, that door, that way out God has put into place so that we can escape the temptation that is trying to trap and overwhelm us!
Today’s devotional has been provided by Manhood Journey.
For more information, please visit https://www.manhoodjourney.org/.
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
- Ever felt the need for something to help sustain you?
- What do you try to use to fill that hole?
- Do you or have you found something that will keep it filled?
- Do you have or have you found something that keeps you from thirsting for it anymore?
- Today’s devotional brings to us the challenge of Gluttony and defines it as:
- Is there something that you desire and find that desire unquenchable?
- Is it food? Is it something else?
- Today’s devotional points out the connection or similarities of gluttony to other sins we have covered or read about over time:
- Let’s be the dads who as temples of the Holy Spirit reflect on the impact of gluttony and obesity to our health, our physical, and our spiritual lives!
- Let’s be the dads who consider where our thoughts are most of the day to ensure we aren’t turning someone or something into a god!
- Let’s be the dads who consider where our thoughts are most of the day to ensure we aren’t worshipping someone or something like they are a god!
- Let’s be the dads who make time, purpose time to be with God!
- Let’s be the dads who reflect regularly on our relationship with God!
- Let’s be the dads who realize the need to give food up to and over to God rather than remaining in the sin of gluttony!
- Today’s devotional closes as it speaks to this sin of gluttony as follows:
- “To put off gluttony, we need to put on self-control because this is what we are teaching our children. When we are extremely overweight, our actions around the table make it very difficult for us to ever talk to our kids about the discipline of self-control. Let’s be mindful that we are setting an example to our kids at all times, including meal time.“
- Let’s be the dads who model self-control in and through our lives!
- Let’s be the dads who lean in and trust in God to have self-control for the things we hunger and thirst for!
- Today’s devotional closes with this prayer:
- Today’s devotional closes with this question to reflect upon: