Just For Dads: Be A Positive Christian Role Model – Day 1
It was time to find a new devotional to start today and the search results switched up from what they had been to this point. So I was looking for a devotional that was a bit longer and that sounded powerful as a message so that it could help us learn and become the dads God created and purposed for us to be. So I chose “Just For Dads: Be A Positive Christian Role Model” because, over the next 21 days, we will get to read and learn about how to be a positive Christian role model for our family! Over the next 21 days, we will get to learn about topics like: “self-discipline, love, patience, and much more“! This devotional will not only help us be the dads but it will also help us “in our day-to-day life to show our children what it truly means to be a role model and follower of Christ in every sense“.
Let’s check out our scriptures for today’s devotional:
‘After you have had children and grandchildren and have lived in the land a long time—if you then become corrupt and make any kind of idol, doing evil in the eyes of the Lord your God and arousing his anger, I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you this day that you will quickly perish from the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess. You will not live there long but will certainly be destroyed. The Lord will scatter you among the peoples, and only a few of you will survive among the nations to which the Lord will drive you. There you will worship man-made gods of wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or eat or smell. But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the Lord your God and obey him. For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your ancestors, which he confirmed to them by oath. ‘Deuteronomy 4:25-31
God’s Word never gets old. Ever noticed how things that were written about in the Bible seem to still be relevant in today’s world? Ever noticed how challenges we face today aren’t new and actually were discussed hundreds and thousands of years ago?
Let’s consider what today’s verse says and ponder the reality of the world we are living in today. It’s been a long time right? Are you noticing the warning of corruption, idol-making, and doing evil taking place? Are you realizing the impact it is having on our lives? Are you noticing the impact it is having on our wives? Are you noticing the impact it is having on our kids? Are you seeing the destruction taking place because of the lack of knowledge of God and His plans, purposes, and instructions? Are you noticing the disconnection or scattering taking place? Are you trusting and leaning in on God or have you been swayed to worship man-made idols rather than the one true God? Are you seeking God? Are you seeking God with all of your heart and with all of your soul? Are you praying and seeking a revival in this land? Are you ready to return to God and obey Him? Are you ready for your wives and kids to return to God and obey Him? Are you ready for this society to return to God and obey Him? Are you ready to receive God’s mercy? Are you ready to trust that God won’t abandon nor destroy you? Are you trusting that God won’t forget His covenant? So today let’s grab hold of these truths and invite God into our lives and situations and ask Him for wisdom and discernment to help us get back on track and help us to lead by example to be good role models for the glory of His Kingdom to our wives, our kids, and our world!
Today’s devotional has been provided by Zondervan!
Reading through today’s devotional, here are some takeaways for me:
(check out the devotional on your own too to see if you pick up other nuggets, and please share your findings in the comments)
For more information, please visit Just For Dads: Be A Positive Christian Role Model | Devotional Reading Plan | YouVersion Bible for more details.
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
- Ever gone to summer camp?
- Ever gotten to hear about the rules and regulations?
- Ever felt like they were for the boys and not the girls?
- Ever wondered or questions that the rules could make camp better?
- What comes to mind after a list of rules and they close with “If you follow these rules, you will have a great time here at camp.”
- How does that sound to you? Does it make sense?
- Do you realize how God’s rules aren’t to keep us from having fun and exciting adventures but rather to create safe and healthy boundaries to keep us from injuries and pain?
- Ever thought or felt like when someone gives you a list of rules it is going to dampen your fun time?
- Ever started to question why would you sign up for this?
- Ever questioned the reality that you could have a “good time by following the rules?”
- Today’s devotional calls out the benefits and consequences of those camp rules when it says:
- “Anyway, you had completely forgotten how you felt after the Camp Director’s rules on opening night. Only a few guys had actually disobeyed, and sure enough, they had experienced the pleasure of having their parents drive up to take them home a little earlier than planned. Following rules, you concluded, does make for good experiences. What a great lesson to learn as a youngster.“
- Today’s scripture spoke to the Israelites through Moses about the importance of following God’s rules! God’s Laws!
- Today’s scripture speaks to God’s promises and consequences based on obedience and disobedience to God’s Laws!
- So let’s be the dads who choose to seek God in order to find Him!
- Today’s devotional closes with this thought to ponder:
- Today’s devotional answers it with “I don’t think so“!
- Let’s be the dads who “don’t let the laws bog us down“!
- Let’s be the dads who receive “the rewards of obeying them — are well worth it” because we know that “living in a home where God lives“!