After a long busy weekend offline looking for our next devotional to review today, I discovered this one titled “Anger Free Dad” by Manhood Journey which provides great resources for and to dads. Its description caught my attention and resonated with me when it says: “No dad wants to get angry.” “We want to raise our kids well, but fatherhood has its share of “anger land mines!”” “When we’re not on our guard, sometimes the smallest misstep can cause us to explode into anger.” And calls out to us as dads to be the dads “who aim to overcome anger“. If you are a dad who wants to be able to live your “life of peace and joy” then let’s dig in and learn how we be the dads who “can be an anger-free dad—in Christ“!
Scripture from today’s Devotional:
‘Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. ‘Psalms 119:165
‘For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum. ‘John 6:55-59
Every day, God’s Word is alive and active! God’s Word is ready to meet us right where we are at as an instruction manual and as a love letter! So let’s make sure to spend time in God’s Word in order to hear from Him what He has to say about life and our prayers! God’s Word never returns void! God’s Word cuts to the center!
Let’s be dads who love and walk in alignment with God’s law so that we can have great peace and won’t get tripped up or stumble because of the ways of the world! Let’s be the dads who spend time in a relationship with Jesus! Let’s be the dads who are in an intimate relationship with Jesus! Let’s be the dads who live because of Jesus! Let’s be the dads who allow our wisdom, discernment, direction, and hope to come from Jesus! Let’s be the dads who receive Jesus into our hearts and minds and lives so that He will be glorified through the way we live our lives!
Today’s devotional has been provided by Manhood Journey.
For more information, please visit https://manhoodjourney.org/anger-free-dad/.
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
“What’s Your Meal Plan Look Like?“
- Let’s be the dads with good habits!
- Let’s be the dads with good eating habits!
- Let’s be the dads whose focus isn’t just on our physical eating habits but also on our spiritual eating habits!
- Let’s be the dads who are prepared and plan out our eating habits so that we don’t miss the mark and end up looking for a quick substitute for eating well!
- Let’s be the dads who prepare and plan both physically and spiritually what we are going to eat so that we can stay healthy and strong!
- Let’s be the dads who are willing to retrain our brains and ourselves in how to have good eating habits; both physically and spiritually!
- Let’s be the dads who aren’t surprised by the load on us in our lives between “juggling marriage, kids, work, bills, schedules, and the occasional golf game“!
- Let’s be the dads who know it is going to be a challenge because “there is so much on a dad’s plate (pun intended), but we face greater challenges if we don’t eat well: loss of energy, weight gain, poor brain function, and even depression“!
- Let’s be the dads who make sure to feed our souls through the reading and meditating on God’s Word!
- Let’s be the dads who are sustained spiritually by spending time in God’s Word in order that we don’t lose sensitivity or connection with the Holy Spirit!
- Let’s be the dads who are fed and filled up with God’s Word rather than allowing the noise and distractions and manipulation of the world to take up too much real estate in our lives!
- Let’s be the dads who are missing out on our spiritual diet by filling ourselves up (heart and mind) “with excessive social media and news reports that get his dander up” and become malnourished!
- Let’s be the dads who are taking in God’s Word regularly, not just on Sundays!
- Let’s be the dads who are taking in God’s Word daily, just like we eat daily!
- Let’s be the dads who realize that if we don’t spend time in God’s Word outside of our Sunday church service then it’s “like expecting to have great health by eating unhealthy foods for six days and only eating healthy on Sunday“!
- Let’s be the dads who realize our spiritual diets impact our lives and will show up “in our marriages, parenting, and all relationships“!
- Let’s be the dads who realize that “over time, it becomes easy to pick out the dad who is feeding regularly on God’s Word“!
- Let’s be the dads who realize that “a regular diet on God’s truth gives you the wisdom, knowledge, and spiritual power to fight things like temptation, lust, greed, hate, and anger“!
- Let’s be the dads who realize that “filling our minds with the things of God fills us with peace, and where there’s peace, there’s no room for anger“!
- So let’s be the dads who take time to make sure we are “aware of our negative intake from the world shouldn’t be something we do passively, and we should not wait until our spiritual health is critical before we change it for the better“!
- Today’s devotional provides us with this recommendation:
- “Develop a biblical meal plan in which you intentionally receive and obey God’s Word every day. The very fact that you are reading this devotion may well indicate a desire on your part to get a handle on your anger and a handle on God’s Word. May the Lord go before you as you daily feed on God’s Word, gaining an appetite for His peace over your anger.“
- Today’s devotional closes with this challenge: