I searched for our next devotional for dads and found this one from UNCOMMEN that will last 5 days. This is a sequel to the first UNCOMMEN Dad’s devotional and will look to challenge us to be better dads, better Christians, and better men! This devotional will do so by tackling subjects like effort, trust, consistency, and more. I am excited to see Jesus in and through this devotional and how He can and will infuse us with life-changing power to make us become UNCOMMEN Dads!
Let’s check out our scriptures for today’s devotional:
‘Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. ‘James 1:22
Let’s be the dads who take time to hear from God by spending time in His Word! Let’s be the dads who read it! Let’s be the dads who listen to it! Let’s be the dads who meditate on what it is saying to us! Let’s be the dads who then put our faith into action and do what it says! Let’s be the dads who go beyond being hearers of the Word and step into being doers of the Word! Let’s be the dads who invest in the Word of God, the plans of God, the purposes of God, and the will of God! Let’s be the dads who get it done!
Today’s devotional has been provided by UNCOMMEN (https://www.uncommen.org).
Reading through today’s devotional, here are some takeaways for me:
(check out the devotional on your own too to see if you pick up other nuggets, and please share your findings in the comments)
For more information, please visit https://www.uncommen.org/ About The Publisher.
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
“You Get Out What You Put In“
- Today’s devotional uses the CSB translation which gives us James 1:22 as “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”
- Let’s be the dads who are doers of the Word of God rather than just trying to get everyone else to do it.
- Let’s be the dads who do what they say and say what they do!
- Let’s be the dads who do what they say and say what they do in order to demonstrate the truth to our wives, kids, and the world so that they can respect us!
- Today’s devotional speaks to it this way:
- Let’s be the dads who model how we are to live for the glory of God!
- Let’s be the dads who receive the Word of God and then live it so that it is seen by our wives, our kids, and our world!
- Let’s be the dads who are good examples of living for the glory of God!
- Let’s be the dads who are doing what God has called us to do!
- Let’s be the dads who are being who God has called us to be!
- Let’s be the dads who are modeling what a follower of Jesus is in this world so that others may see us doing the good works God has prepared in advance for us to accomplish and glorify our Father in Heaven!
- Let’s be the dads who don’t end up finding out that other people are using us as examples of what not to do and what not to be because we have been living the lie of do what I say not what I do!
- Today’s devotional speaks to this as follows:
- “Abraham Lincoln gets quoted from saying so many things, it’s hard to know which one he said and which ones he didn’t say. He’s on record saying, “You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.“
- “You may be able to tell your children to do the right thing when they are young, but as they get older, they want to see you do the right thing also. That’s where phoning it in breaks down and you become that dad that people use as an example of what not to be. Do you want that?“
- Let’s be dads who lead by example!
- Let’s be the dads who teach our kids how to live for Jesus by doing what He tells us to do!
- Let’s be the dads who train our kids by living our lives in front of them and allowing them to see life in motion!
- Let’s be the dads who help our kids by allowing them to see what we have learned through obedience and disobedience so that they can avoid the pitfalls of the latter!
- Let’s be the dads who are involved in the lives of our kids so that they don’t have to look elsewhere for a good role model!
- Let’s be the dads who own the role of being a dad!
- Let’s be the dads who take hold of the responsibilities of being a dad!
- Let’s be the dads who find good role models who help us become better dads!
- Let’s be the dads who spend time with God asking Him to help us become better dads!
- Let’s be the dads who spend time with God asking Him to help us become more like Jesus!
- Let’s be the dads who spend time with God asking Him to help us to model life for our wives, kids, and world for the glory of His Kingdom!
- Let’s be the dads who live our lives in a way that teaches our kids what it looks like to live a Christ-like, Christ-centered life!
- Today’s devotional speaks to all of this and then finishes up with a question and a challenge for us!
- “James tells us not only to be hearers of God’s word but rather also doers of it as well. Your children learn by example and look to you to be that example in their childhood and beyond. The important thing about that statement is if you don’t provide them a good example, they will find that elsewhere. If you’ve been tasked with being a dad or a step-dad, then own that role and the responsibilities that go with it. If you didn’t have a good role model growing up, learn to be a good one. “
- “If you’re not praying about your role as a dad to your children, I can tell you that is the problem. When you are praying to God about being a reflection of Jesus to them, He starts to show you what you have to change to be more like Christ. When you begin to change your speech, behavior, practices, you start to show them what a Christ-like dad looks like in everyday life“
- Today’s “Uncommen Questions:“
- Today’s “Uncommen Challenge:“