It is amazing to me how quickly time flies and getting to look through various dad devotionals helps me grab hold of and make the most of each day. After a week of grabbing onto Love Slows Down, I did a search to discover what the next devotional series would be and found Survival Gear for Dads | Devotional Reading Plan | YouVersion Bible. Ever found it hard to be a godly dad? Ever found it exhausting to be a godly dad? Ever found it challenging to be a godly dad? Ever found it thrilling to be a godly dad? Ever found it confusing to be a godly dad? Ever found it rewarding to be a godly dad? As today’s devotional tells us “Being a godly father is an exhausting, challenging, thrilling, dangerous, confusing, and rewarding endeavor. It’s both a place you are and a journey you’re on. It’s a destination you arrive at and a process of becoming.” I am excited to get to read another devotional from the Manhood Journey and to read that this plan “will help you gear up for the journey, get a sense of where you are right now, and what steps to take next.” So let’s get into it and see what we can learn and what tools we can add to our toolbelt to be a part of our survival gear for this journey of being a godly dad!
Let’s check out our scriptures for today’s devotional:
‘It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. ‘Deuteronomy 13:4
‘For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” ‘Mark 10:45
‘Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. ‘John 13:14
God’s Word is so incredible to me because just looking into it and reading it speaks such volumes. Taking verses from various parts of the Bible and putting them together on a topic or theme is so powerful because it speaks from God, about God, and to our hearts! The one compilation that always gets me is The Father’s Love Letter that I discovered many years ago. Take a moment to consider how the Bible is God’s love letter to us! (the first version shows the text of the verses, the second is the 20th Anniversary Edition)
Looking at today’s reading we start with the command and direction for us to be the dads who follow the Lord! We are to be the dads that revere God! We are to be the dads who keep His commands! We are to be the dads who obey Him! We are to be the dads who serve Him! We are to be the dads who hold fast to Him!
Today’s reading teaches us that we aren’t to be the dads who try to hold power over others or force others to serve us but rather that we would be the dads who serve! Just as Jesus didn’t come to be served, we are the dads who shouldn’t be trying to get or have others serve us! We are to be the dads who serve others! We are to be the dads who serve our wives, our kids, and our world with a heart to serve and save many!
Let’s be the dads who are willing to serve others! Let’s be the dads who are humble enough to serve those in need! Let’s be the dads who are humble enough to serve our wives! Let’s be the dads who are humble enough to serve our kids! Let’s be the dads who are humble enough to wash one another’s feet!
Today’s devotional has been provided by Manhood Journey (https://www.manhoodjourney.org).
Reading through today’s devotional, here are some takeaways for me:
(check out the devotional on your own too to see if you pick up other nuggets, and please share your findings in the comments)
For more information, please visit About The Publisher.
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
- Let’s be the dads who wake up each morning and get ready for the day ahead because we know that today will be “more like a treacherous hike over tricky terrain.“
- Let’s be the dads who prepare each morning for the day ahead picking up “tools to help us along the way“
- Let’s be the dads who don’t just get up and go but pause long enough to pick up the “tools every godly dad needs in his pack.“
- Let’s be the dads who don’t rush into each day unprepared but rather “walk step by step, loading in each tool one at a time.“
- Let’s be the dads who don’t try to get through life alone but rather choose to walk it out with God so that “along the way, we’ll get help knowing why each tool is important and how to properly handle it.“
- Today’s devotional get us started with the second tool for our toolbelt that we need to be carrying with us today!
- “Tool 5: Serve Others”
- Let’s be the dads who are godly dads for “The godly dad serves others.“
- Let’s be the dads who choose to serve others in a way that will glorify God!
- Let’s be the dads who choose to serve others from a heart of gratitude for all God has done in and through and for us!
- Today’s devotional speaks to the importance of the heart behind why we serve when it says:
- “Most dads tend to serve from one of three basic places in their heart. They serve from duty, devotion, or delight.”
- Let’s be the dads who serve for the glory of God and choose to serve our wives, kids, and world!
- Let’s be the dads who serve to glorify God without reward in this life because we get to serve our wives, kids, and the world!
- Let’s be the dads who are willing to pitch in without being asked!
- Let’s be the dads who are willing to serve to give your wife a break!
- Let’s be the dads who are willing to serve by going and doing!
- Let’s be the dads who are leading by example on the importance of serving!
- Today’s devotional asks the question in an interesting way:
- Let’s be the dads who serve those who can’t repay us without looking or wanting to get repaid!
- Let’s be the dads who serve without looking for recognition from others!
- Let’s remember as today’s devotional says:
- Let’s be the dads who check our hearts and reasons for serving!
- Let’s be the dads who aren’t looking to serve to get the light shone on ourselves!
- Let’s be the dads who serve others in order to make sure the essentials are being met!
- Today’s devotional gives us some pretty powerful information when it points us to Philippians 2:3-4.
- Let’s be the dads who want to thrive for the glory of God!
- Let’s be the dads who realize as today’s devotional tells us: “If you want to thrive, you must serve.“
- So as we begin today, let’s be the dads who check our hearts and ask the question today’s devotional closes with for ourselves.
- “Tool 5: Serve Others”