It is amazing to me how quickly time flies and getting to look through various dad devotionals helps me grab hold of and make the most of each day. After a week of grabbing onto Love Slows Down, I did a search to discover what the next devotional series would be and found Survival Gear for Dads | Devotional Reading Plan | YouVersion Bible. Ever found it hard to be a godly dad? Ever found it exhausting to be a godly dad? Ever found it challenging to be a godly dad? Ever found it thrilling to be a godly dad? Ever found it confusing to be a godly dad? Ever found it rewarding to be a godly dad? As today’s devotional tells us “Being a godly father is an exhausting, challenging, thrilling, dangerous, confusing, and rewarding endeavor. It’s both a place you are and a journey you’re on. It’s a destination you arrive at and a process of becoming.” I am excited to get to read another devotional from the Manhood Journey and to read that this plan “will help you gear up for the journey, get a sense of where you are right now, and what steps to take next.” So let’s get into it and see what we can learn and what tools we can add to our toolbelt to be a part of our survival gear for this journey of being a godly dad!
Let’s check out our scriptures for today’s devotional:
‘You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal. ‘Isaiah 26:3-4
‘Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: ‘Psalms 37:4-5
‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.’Proverbs 3:5-6
God’s Word is always so powerful and so it is the reason I tend to go through the verses first before jumping into the devotional and see how they apply them. I like to meditate and hear from God about how to live, listen, and learn. So let’s consider what God is saying to us through His Word today and then discover what the Manhood Journey will provide us in terms of gear to be better prepared as dads!
Let’s be the dads to whom God is able to provide perfect peace because our minds are steadfast and trusting in Him! Let’s be the dads in who God is able to produce perfect peace because our minds are firm, fixed, and steady! Let’s be the dads who God is able to create a perfect peace in our hearts and minds because we put all of our trust in Him! Let’s be the dads who will trust in the Lord forever! Let’s be the dads who stand firm on the rock that is Jesus, our eternal Rock! Let’s be the dads who put on the full armor of God and then stand firm on the rock!
Let’s be the dads who are focused on doing God’s Will and pursuing His purpose and plans for our lives! Let’s be the dads whose hearts are so focused on accomplishing the good works God has prepared in advance for us to accomplish that God will give us the desires of our hearts! Let’s be the dads who commit our ways to the Lord! Let’s be the dads who trust in God! Let’s be the dads who look to live our lives in alignment with God’s will, trusting in Him, and accomplishing the good works He has prepared in advance for us to accomplish so that He is able to work in and through our lives for the glory of His Kingdom!
Let’s be the dads who no matter what we are facing trust in the Lord with all of our hearts! Let’s be the dads who no matter what we are facing lean on God rather than leaning on our own understanding! Let’s be the dads who no matter what we are facing acknowledge and submit our ways to God! Let’s be the dads who allow God to make our paths straight no matter what we are facing because we choose to live our lives acknowledging and submitting to God’s ways!
Today’s devotional has been provided by Manhood Journey (https://www.manhoodjourney.org).
Reading through today’s devotional, here are some takeaways for me:
(check out the devotional on your own too to see if you pick up other nuggets, and please share your findings in the comments)
For more information, please visit About The Publisher.
Takeaways from Today’s Devotional:
“Most days, being a godly father is not a walk in the park.“
- Let’s be the dads who wake up each morning and get ready for the day ahead because we know that today will be “more like a treacherous hike over tricky terrain.“
- Let’s be the dads who prepare each morning for the day ahead picking up “tools to help us along the way“
- Let’s be the dads who don’t just get up and go but pause long enough to pick up the “tools every godly dad needs in his pack.“
- Let’s be the dads who don’t rush into each day unprepared but rather “walk step by step, loading in each tool one at a time.“
- Let’s be the dads who don’t try to get through life alone but rather choose to walk it out with God so that “along the way, we’ll get help knowing why each tool is important and how to properly handle it.“
- Today’s devotional gets us started with the first tool to pick up and be packed with us as we go into each today!
- “Tool 1: Trust God”
- Let’s be the dads who aren’t wandering or lost walking into today, instead as today’s devotional shares, we need “something guiding your direction. You need a True North. Trusting God is the first tool you need in your pack. “
- Let’s be the dads who aren’t getting overwhelmed like we did when we were younger! Today’s devotional creates a flashback for us as it describes our younger days:
- “Remember when you were younger? Every decision seemed like life or death, didn’t it? Going to the game? Dating that girl? Life seemed to hang in the balance on every decision, and when you were faced with these “tough choices”, what guided you? Your emotions? Your friends? Your parents? What was your fixed point to orient yourself?“
- Let’s be the dads of today!
- Let’s be the dads who realize how much more important our decisions are and how much more impact the decisions make!
- Let’s be the dads who are trusting in and leaning on God more to help us make the right decision!
- Today’s devotional speaks to it this way:
- Let’s be the dads who are connected to Jesus!
- Let’s be the dads who aren’t trying to use some new gadget to help us navigate that can be thrown off by other magnetic forces!
- Let’s be the dads who trust God’s wisdom and direction to help us make it through the highs, the lows, and the in-between times!
- Today’s devotional speaks to us about this as follows:
- “There are many magnetic forces that can pull us off track. Two big ones are money and sex. With the pull of money, you can work late every evening, because that next promotion is the priority. That ball practice? What’s one evening, there are so many practices. Soon, a season has gone by and you only have work accolades to show for it. “
- “As for sex, well, many guys get pulled off track with this magnetic force. This force says what’s one look or one coffee date? Before you know it, your mind and thoughts are captivated. If Satan can get your thoughts, it’s only a matter of time before he will get your actions.“
- Let’s be the dads who don’t get pulled off course by the temporary or the tempting but rather stay on track, trusting and leaning on God so that we can be the dads our wives and kids need us to be!
- Let’s be the dads who don’t get pulled off course by the temporary or the tempting but rather stay on track, trusting and leaning on God so that we can be the dads this world needs us to be!
- Let’s be the dads whose trust in God is so big that if and when the devil tries to draw us off course through temptations like money or sex, we remember the response Jesus had to the devil when He was being tempted and be prepared with God’s Word to reply and respond in a godly way!
- Today’s devotional closes with this:
- “Tool 1: Trust God”