Strange Words – A Dad’s Prayer For His Children – Day 4
It’s incredible getting to go through these devotions for dads. It’s even more incredible getting to reach out to the authors and connect with them. Today when I did my search for “dad” in the Bible.com plans, the next one on the list was from UNCOMMEN and titled – STRANGE – WORDS – A Dad’s Prayer For His Children. This one’s description aligns very strongly to our theme of Be The Dads. Here is a snippet that describes this devotional from Bible.com:
Now more than ever, the world is in need of strong fathers who love their families well. God provides the strength to those who seek Him and call upon His name. Being a father is a sacred responsibility because we reflect God’s love to our children. Men are called to lead and serve their families, and a very tangible way to do that is to pray over your children. God does amazing things in our lives when we ask for His help. But sometimes finding the words to pray over your kids can be challenging. This study includes seven things from Scripture that you can pray over your kids for each day of the week. Join us as we provide guidance and daily encouragement for great prayers based on Scripture over the next seven days.Bible.com – UNCOMMEN
‘Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. ‘James 1:22
‘Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. ‘Deuteronomy 6:7
‘All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.’2 Timothy 3:16-17
Today’s verses speak to us the importance of God’s commandments. They speak to the importance of raising the bar in order to keep the average from continuing to drop. They speak to the power and the purpose of God’s Word and how critical it is for us to be the dads and ensure that the next generation is trained up and ready for the life ahead. We see it in James where we need to have an active faith and be doers of the word. We see it in Deuteronomy where we need to continue pouring the truth of God, His Word, and His commandments into the lives of our kids. We see the power and purpose and origin of God’s Word in 2 Timothy and how we need to be using it and sharing it in a way that teaches, rebukes, corrects, and trains our kids up in righteousness so that they will be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Today’s devotional has been provided by UNCOMMEN (more details can be found https://www.uncommen.org/).
Reading through today’s devotional, here are some takeaways for me: (check out the devotional on your own too to see if you pick up other nuggets, and please share your findings in the comments)
DESIRE FOR GOD’S WORD
- Today’s devotional kicks off with an incredible prayer connected to today’s verses:
- Do you realize that some of the greatest obstacles can also be our greatest opportunities?
- Do you realize that you could be that obstacle or opportunity for your kids in regards to getting exposeed to God’s Word on a regular basis?
- Have you managed to be the dad who is able to weave scripture into your families day even with all the busy activitives and demands on your families time?
- Have you invited God into your situation so that you can be the dad through all the challenges, obstables, activities, and demands?
- Are you being the dad because you are walking it out with God who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly more than we could ever ask or imagine?
- Are you being the dad because you are walking it out with God because you know that it may seem impossible with man but all things are possible for and with God?
- Are you being the dad who models out God’s Word in a way that is desirable and interesting to you kids?
- Are you being the dad who models out God’s Word so that they can learn to love and model their own lives after scripture?
- Let’s pause and reflect on this question from the devotional:
- Are you being a dad who models out God’s Word by praying for your children?
- Are you being a dad who models out God’s Word by praying for ways to incorporate scripture into the daily life of your family?
- Do you model it in the morning? afternoon? evening?
- Do you model it at the kitchen table, lunch table, dinner table?
- Do you model it on a consistent basis?
- Today’s devotional comes with a challenge: