As we continue this year the next plan I have selected to go through is “Rad Dad!” which is a 6 day devotional through the Bible.com site.
Day 6 – How has becoming a father changed your perspective on a Father’s love for his children?
‘Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. ‘Proverbs 22:6
‘These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. ‘Deuteronomy 6:1-2
‘Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. ‘Deuteronomy 6:7
It is interesting the theme I see when looking through today’s verses. It is the importance of pouring God’s Word into the lives of our kids. We see it in how we are to raise them up in Proverbs 22. We see it when Moses is telling the people the importance of making sure that everyone knows God’s commands, decrees, and laws. We see it win how we are to impress them on our children. It shouldn’t be a once-a-week or once in a while thing but rather an all-day and everyday type of thing. We should be leading by example daily so that when we are sitting around a home they get it, when we are walking or out and abound the roads, and even when we put them to bed and get them up for the morning. God’s Word is so important and so critical to being able to achieve God’s purpose and plans for our lives and for their lives. For us to be the dads God created us to be we need to raise up our kids in the way they should go. Yes, we aren’t perfect and neither is anyone else, for all have sinned. But Jesus has come that we may have life and life more abundantly, so let’s lean in on God, let’s invite Jesus into our lives, and let’s be people who are humble enough to apologize when we miss the mark. Let’s allow the way we use our words, the way we work, the way we act point people to God! Let’s decide to turn back to God and get back on track to being or becoming the dads God desires for us to be, so that the next generation will be able to walk out their lives healthier than we have and with the confidence and trust in God we all need. It’s not too late for a second chance! It’s not too late to repent and reconcile! So today let’s be the dads we are supposed to be for our kids, and for the world.
Today’s devotional has been provided by Varsity Skateboarding Organization (more details can be found here: https://varsityskate.org/).
Reading through today’s devotional, here are some takeaways for me: (check out the devotional on your own too to see if you pick up other nuggets, and please share your findings in the comments)
- Remember how we sow what we reap?
- So today as we go out there, let’s be the dads and sow lots of seeds for God!
- Let’s be good examples and people who fully trust in God so that we can not only sow the seeds into the lives of our kids and others, but can point them in the way they should go so that they won’t depart from it.
- Unfortunately in this world we will have troubles and people aren’t perfect and so if we don’t get filled with faith or washed in faith daily, it can wear off and people turn away from Jesus which is so sad.
- So let’s be the dads that make sure our kids grow up knowing the Word of God!
- Let’s be the dads that love God and teach His ways to our kids!
- Let’s be the dads that share the testimony of God working in and through our lives with our kids!
- Let’s be the dads that also point to the unchanging Word of God that is dependable forever!
- Let’s be the dads that help our kids get a firm foundation to build their lives upon!
- Let’s be the dads that make decisions for our kids the reinforce what we read in Proverbs today so that we train up our kids in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it.
- So where are you at today?
- Are your kids seeing and getting what they need?
- Is your family seeing and getting what they need?
- Have they seen enough? Are you living your life to the full so they can see it, experience it, and believe it?
- Are you being the dad you were created to be so that your kids are raised the way they should go?
- Are you living a life that reflects all of what God’s Word tells us to the world around us so that we can be the dads they need?
- Let’s be the dads who teach the Word of God and then give it up to God to help them remember what they have been taught and will be led by the Holy Spirit.
- Let’s be the dads who help them realize they can trust Jesus and lean on Him through the highs and lows of life.
- Let’s be the dads who introduce them to Jesus so that they can have their own authentic and intimate relationship with Him!
- Let’s be the dads who train them up in the way they should go so that it leaves the legacy that they will do the same with their kids and so on and so on and so on.