As we continue this year the next plan I have selected to go through is “Rad Dad!” which is a 6 day devotional through the Bible.com site.
Day 2 – How has becoming a father changed your perspective on a Father’s love for his children?
Today’s devotional is connected with Psalm 86:15:
‘But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. ‘Psalms 86:15
Isn’t it great to know that our Heavenly Father is compassionate? Isn’t it great to realize He is: sympathetic · empathetic · understanding · caring · concerned · solicitous · sensitive · tenderhearted · softhearted · warmhearted · warm · loving · tender · gentle · merciful · lenient · tolerant · considerate · thoughtful · kind · kindly · kindhearted · humanitarian · humane · charitable · benevolent · good-natured · well-disposed · big-hearted? Isn’t it great to know that our Heavenly Father is gracious? Isn’t it great to realize He is: merciful · forgiving · compassionate · kind · kindly · lenient · clement · pitying · forbearing · humane · mild · softhearted · tenderhearted · sympathetic · patient · humanitarian · liberal · easygoing · permissive · tolerant · indulgent · generous · magnanimous · beneficent · benign · benignant · benevolent? How are we doing in being the dad who is compassionate? How are we doing in being the dad who is gracious? God’s Word gives us pointers and tips to help us do better and get better as it when it says that God is slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. So today as we being our day let’s try not to fly off the handle when something happens but instead be slow to anger. Let’s consider if we have the feeling or the tendency to fly off the handle to be a light on the dashboard that means something is wrong in our hearts and so let’s get our hearts and our minds a check-up to see what needs to be taken care of. Today let’s be the dads who are so abounding in love that it is overflowing and being poured out to our kids and the world around us. Today let’s be the dads who are so abounding in faithfulness that we are sticking close to God and His plans and His purposes that the world around us can see Christ working in and through us. Let’s follow God’s example and God’s lead as the Heavenly Father as we step out today as the dads He created us to be.
Today’s devotional has been provided by Varsity Skateboarding Organization (more details can be found here: https://varsityskate.org/).
Reading through today’s devotional, here are some takeaways for me: (check out the devotional on your own too to see if you pick up other nuggets, and please share your findings in the comments)
- Do you remember that first time you saw your child? your son or daughter?
- Do you remember the amazement of that small package that had been delivered and were amazed that they were yours?
- Do you remember falling in love with them? Do you remember starting to love them more and more each day?
- Do you remember the roller coaster of emotions? Do you remember the highs and the lows, the ups and the downs?
- Are you being steadfast? Are you feeling steadfast? loyal · faithful · committed · devoted · dedicated · dependable · reliable · steady · true · constant · staunch · trusty · firm · determined · resolute · stalwart · stout · relentless · implacable · single-minded · unchanging · unwavering · unhesitating · unfaltering · unswerving · unyielding · unflinching · inflexible · uncompromising
- Is that something you had expected? Is that something you were prepared for?
- from the parenting classes…
- from the movies…
- from watching other parents…
- Ever considered how if we compare it, that feeling of being a dad, that feeling of them being your child, and reflect on it in comparison to how God has been and will continue to be there for us how does that make you feel?
- God will be there no matter what happens!
- God will be there no matter how we treat Him!
- God is here for the long haul!
- So just like we can take comfort in that truth and reality, let’s be the dads that allow our kids to find comfort in us and in God too!
- So let’s lean on God through whatever happens, however they treat us and leaning on God let’s choose to be there for them for the long haul!
- Let’s follow God’s example!
- God is and has and always will be with me through the best and worst of times and all the times in between.
- God is faithful to provide for us and challenge us when we need it.
- Let’s not lean on our own understanding to try and grasp everything about God but instead let’s decide to trust God!
- Let’s grab hold of the reality that being the dad may not always be fun but will always be worth it!
- Let’s grab of the importance of being the dad who will step up and do what is needed for our kid(s).